Day 27: The 26-hour day

Today felt like it would never end! I woke up at 6:15 a.m. this morning. The sun wasn’t even out yet! (And not just because it’s been cloudy and rainy for the past week.) I went to the CKCU studio and sat in on a geographic and environmental news show. They even let me go on the air! I was just introduced as a volunteer and they asked me a little about journalism and why I’m here. I think I sounded like I had an IQ of about 2.5 but it was a lot more fun than I thought it would be! In fact, one of the co-hosts asked me to come back next week when the other co-host would be out of town. I don’t really know what I’ll be doing exactly, but I don’t mind helping out a little.

After an hour of that, it was still only 8 a.m. I stopped by Starbucks and proceeded to down a mocha with a double shot of espresso. It actually worked! I was functioning relatively well and I managed to make it to journalism at 11:30 a.m. without crashing.

Remember that deadly in-class assignment that was supposed to give me a stroke? Well I think it’s safe to say I didn’t have to check out of this life after all! Our prof sent out a “press release” (which he wrote). It was a police report about a bank robbery, completely made up. We had a chance to talk to the “Ottawa police spokesman” (a.k.a. our prof). Then we went around the room and everyone could pick one source they wanted to call to ask one question. By the end, we all had the same information. The key was to find out what mattered and what didn’t.

I thought we were going to have to finish the article in class by 2:30 p.m., but it turns out our prof doesn’t want our lives to end before we hit 20 after all! We had until 5 p.m. to email our final copy to him and we were allowed to work on it at home. I went back to res and typed away for about two hours. I finished ahead of time, at 4 p.m. In hindsight, I think there are some choices I would have made differently, but what’s done is done I suppose. Now we wait for the verdict.

After we finished our assignment, Kitty and I decided to celebrate by going to … Starbucks. Being the great roommate that I am, I agreed to accompany her. I was all set to get another coffee to keep myself awake long enough to finish swimming later tonight (which is a whole other story. I’ll get to it later). But as my brain was relying heavily on a quickly-draining caffeine crutch, I left my tumbler on the kitchen counter. I decided to save a cup and just get a snack. As we were waiting for Kitty’s drink, I saw a mocha sitting on the counter and no one was claiming it. I waited, and waited, and waited some more. Still no one. Finally Kitty got her drink and we were just about to leave when I just went for it.

“Is this anyone’s?” I asked the busy barista.

“No, you can have it.”

And so my luck with free drinks continues … and ended all within half an hour. I didn’t notice it before, but the top of that mocha was particularly creamy. I figured it was just foam from the milk, but after a few sips, I should have known! It was melted whipped cream! Whipped cream and I do not get along. It makes me feel gaggy, like a mild case of lactose intolerance. Milk is good. I love cheese and ice cream and yogurt. But for some reason, whipped cream is a big no no.

So I felt horribly unwell after that mocha. I’m never taking a free drink again! (Until I make sure there’s no whipped cream in sight).

My horrid luck continued when I went to swimming. It was the best set ever! Easy drills and lots of choice. I was so ready to swim my heart out and end this long day on a good note, but it appears my muscles had other plans. I get pretty intense leg and foot cramps every so often when I swim. Today was one of those days … times 50! I tried to swim through it, which sometimes works … just not today. I ended up dragging myself out of the pool and stretching for about 25 minutes. I don’t understand how a leg cramp can last for over 15 minutes! It’s crazy. At one point I actually thought I was going to be stranded at the pool, unable to walk back to res for the night. Fortunately, it passed eventually, but by then, our swim time was up. I was very disappointed.

Now I’ve been trying and failing to read the news. It’s just not going to happen. I’ve come to terms with it. I think I’m just going to go to sleep and start afresh in the morning. After all, as Scarlett O’Hara said, “Tomorrow is another day.”

Update: I added a new link in my Published Articles to my latest piece for the Charlatan. I also posted my latest Class Assignment. Go check it out!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s