Day 68: A perfect day for a baseball bat

Today was definitely a day when I felt like hitting things. I was having a grand morning, rolling out of bed, having breakfast, kicking back and not feeling the rush at all. I had a meeting at 10:30 a.m. for “Spaces, Places and Faces,” the radio show that I volunteer with (and I’ll be doing the environmental news for them tomorrow at 7 a.m. Tune in at 93.1 CKCU FM!) and I was jotting down some ideas.

I had planned it all out. I was going to leave 15 minutes early so I’d be early for the meeting and make a good impression since I’m hope I can ask the show’s hosts to be my reference for my summer internship applications. But as luck would have it, I locked myself out of my room. It took 10 minutes to get a temporary key and retrieve my keys (this is about the fifth time I’ve locked myself out. I miss the days when doors didn’t swing shut and lock automatically). I ended up running to the library for my meeting.

I was in a complete sweat (the library is all the way up a hill and my meeting was on the fourth floor!). I was looking for the elevator. I really didn’t feel like climbing those stairs, but the guy at the front desk said you need a special key to get onto the elevator to the fourth floor. Of course there is. I ended up running up the four flights of stairs and ran into the meeting room only to find that I was the second person there. The only other guy in the room was the show host who called the meeting. Great. I was very ravishing with my puffing and panting. What a lovely impression. Well I guess I wasn’t late. Everyone else was.

For the entire meeting, I laid out all my many brilliant ideas and I made sure it was very clear that I didn’t have time to actually do the interviews for them because of all the journalism assignments coming up. But people just did not seem to understand English for the whole hour of that meeting. They kept asking me when I’d be able to get in touch with the people, how I’d go about framing the issue, how long I thought it would take. It was hopeless. I ended up just signing up for another environmental news slot next week (which I might pass off to another guy if I’m too tired) and volunteering to learn how to use the sound board. It was supposed to make up for my refusal to do any features, but the hosts just kind of took it as an “in addition to” proposal. I’m not a happy camper.

From there, the rest of the day was kind of a buzz kill. After my Chinese class, I got another weird email from Sean, the owner of a green business. He said I didn’t indicate I was a journalism student. Hello! I mentioned that right off the bat when I spoke to him on the phone. I didn’t put it in the email because I figured he was equipped with a short term memory of at least 15 minutes. Baseball bat anyone? People can be so infuriating. He then went on to give me some weak excuse about how he can’t answer any of my questions because of the Christmas season coming up. Apparently it’s very busy at the store. That’s not what he told me on the phone, and even if it was true, you could have told me that before I sent you a list of questions. I’m pretty sure the Christmas season wasn’t a surprise event that came from out of nowhere. I don’t even think I’ll honour that email with a reply.

After that ordeal, I was done. I didn’t feel like working at all! I managed to drag myself to the phone and schedule three interviews for next week. I figured that was enough for today. Never mind my To Do list was telling me to transcribe yesterday’s interview or start my politics essay. I finally did some hitting. I hit the gym.

It was the first time I went to the gym this semester and I have to say it felt good. I hogged a treadmill and ran for an hour. I was feeling great … until I returned to res and sat for a while. Now I’m feeling the soreness kick in.

Well this is probably one of my earlier posts, seeing as it’s only nearing 11 p.m. instead of midnight. But tomorrow’s wake-up call is 6:30 a.m. so I think it’s time to turn in early. I don’t want to get sleepy voice when I’m on the air.


One thought on “Day 68: A perfect day for a baseball bat

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s