Day 75: Interview after interview with no end in sight

I’ve come to the conclusion that what this world needs is one time zone. Since I came up with this profound thought, I think we should just use Eastern time and everyone will just have to deal with it. If you’re on the other side of the world? Well invest in some flashlights and get used to sleeping with sunglasses on, because that’s just the way it’s going to be from now on.

And yet, sadly my whims are rarely adopted by the rest of the world. (All that will change of course when I discover my own planet and rule over the¬†Martians.) So I was up early this morning making calls to the UK. They’re five hours ahead of us so if I wanted to catch people in their offices before everyone checked out at 5 p.m., I had to make all my calls before noon my time.

I guess there is some comfort in the fact that I got two interviews done. Those beautiful British accents don’t hurt either. I actually think that is what journalism in Canada is missing. We all just need to find a good accent that will replace our boring Canadian one and I think my interviewing experiences around little old Ottawa will be infinitely more exciting. In any case, I’ll have something to entertain me if my interviewee turns out to be really boring.

In fact, that accent even softened the blow when I got yelled at by an MP’s secretary. Apparently my interview requests are “ridiculous.” (She says I didn’t even give them 24 hours notice since I said my deadline was tomorrow evening, but I think she didn’t take into account the time difference because I gave her almost two days.) Someone threw a hissy fit, but hey, you can can call me whatever you want so long as you use that accent! But I guess that means I’m going to have to making more calls tomorrow. Joyous.

This afternoon was filled with interviews on this side of the world. It was dark, cold and rainy by the time 4 p.m. rolled around and I had to head out and meet another small business owner. It was actually one of the better interviews I’ve had. The owner was really passionate about his job, which is always a plus (How do you expect me to be interested if you don’t even care about your job?), but I had a crisis of my own.

Ten minutes into my interview, I was kicking journalistic butt, asking all the right questions and following up with my interviewees responses. I was on fire! And then I went to flip the page on my notebook, fumbled around with my recorder and watched in horror as it fell in slow motion onto the floor. The batteries popped out and I feel like I could have slapped a giant Assembly Required label on it. It was bad.

I managed to put it back together and it still worked, but I lost the clip that was recording just before it fell. There went my fine work. I guess it was a small setback considering my interview was about 40 minutes long. I just subtly tried to get him to recap what I lost. I can be stealthy when the opportunity calls for it.

The cherry on top of my day: I got a call back from the guy who flaked on me on Monday. He had a family issue, which I understand, but he told me he’d call me tonight some time from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. I usually like to be the one who makes the call so I’m not just hanging and waiting, but it’s just not always an option. He said he’d phone me as soon as he closed up his shop. Well 6 p.m. came and went. So did 7 p.m. … and 8 p.m. The whole time I didn’t leave my desk in case I missed his call. I didn’t even get to make dinner! And lo and behold, I’ve been stood up again. I think it’s time to move on. That ship has sailed. I don’t think I want that interview that badly (to be honest, it was my backup.)

Now I’m really starting to feel how fleeting time can be near the end of the semester. I can’t believe there are only eight more days of school. How can it already be Thursday tomorrow? Wasn’t I just buckling up for another Monday a while ago? What happened? I guess I blink too much. No more blinking! It’s a fine line between Christmas not getting here fast enough and the days going by too quickly for me to finish all the things I plan on doing.

One last thing before I go: I got a package from my mom today! Among some other useful things, I got a giant bag of caramel corn from Kernels! It’s so addicting. I feel like it’s definitely going to be all gone by the end of the weekend. I always forget how much I love popcorn until I see it … a big fat bag of it. Mm. Ah great, now I have munchy cravings.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s