Day 99: And darkness descended upon the earth

As of about 8 p.m. tonight, I have been sitting in the dark abyss previously known as my room. My light flickered for about 2o annoying minutes, then promptly decided to check out and leave me squinting at the harsh glare of my laptop for the rest of the evening. The worst part is I can’t even go anywhere because when I called res maintenance, they said they’ll be sending someone tonight and I have to let him in. It is now 10:20 p.m. I think it’s safe to say he is not coming tonight.

Problem: I’m going to be out almost all day tomorrow so who is going to be letting him in? I’d like to know too. For now I can do nothing except hope that he magically shows up when either Kitty or I am in res because I cannot take another night of this. You know what’s worse than having the sun set at 3:30 p.m. everyday and rise at 8 a.m.? Having no light whatsoever for all the hours in between. It’s so not ideal.

Well I promised I would have a story today and so far it seems I have succeeded, just not in the way I had hoped. My Chinese exam went really well this morning. Considering I slept horribly (I was woken up at 2:30 a.m. and couldn’t get back to sleep until long past 3 a.m.), I was surprised how easy I found that exam. Our laoshi also came bearing snacks for us! She had a bag of Lindt dark chocolate squares and two giant Tupperware boxes filled with rice krispie balls and bars (made with two types of healthy cereal instead of the usual Snap, Crackle and Pop version, and chock full of nuts and dried fruits). It was definitely well-accepted since most people (myself not included) don’t eat breakfast. I like to think she was being nice but it’s more likely she was trying to butter us up before failing all the slackers.

After the exam, I hopped on a bus and headed downtown where I did a little Christmas shopping. I walked by Godiva and there were free samples being handed out! I got a free peppermint truffle and it was delicious – mostly because it was complimentary. It was really warm today too – only 0 degrees! I think even with the wind, it only felt like -6 so everyone was in high spirits.

I met up with Kitty and Natalie at an LCBO on Bank Street at around 4 p.m. and from there we headed to Loblaws for grocery shopping. I didn’t really have anything to buy (I tried and succeeded in cleaning out my fridge before I go home for the break). Of course that means I’ve had to wait in exuberantly long lineups at Tim Hortons – 20 minutes this morning because the caf doesn’t open until 9:30 a.m. on the weekends – but I suppose it’s not going to be for long now.

It’s definitely not the best day of my life by a long shot (doesn’t even come close to making the top 1000 days), but I guess it’s nice to have a day off once in a while. Time to get back to the books tomorrow.

Official countdown to home: 5 days


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s