Day 1: Ready for Round Two!

It’s a brand new year – 2011! – and a brand new semester. Time to restart the day count. Since it was nearly midnight when I actually arrived in Ottawa, I’ll just use today as Day 1.

Today was surprisingly hectic. I was up at what felt like the crack of dawn (a.k.a. 8 a.m.) and started bustling around trying to unpack a little (I just kind of plopped all my bags on the floor when I got in last night and went to bed). I had class at 9:30 a.m., which is supposed to be one of the better days, considering I have class at 8:30 a.m. on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. I think I’ll treat this as an opportunity to ease back into the school routine.

After two hours of Chinese class, I was off to register for athletics and buy my books. I’ll never understand why textbooks are so expensive. My wallet is hurting just by looking at the prices! I even tried to cut a few corners by trading books with Natalie (we’re taking the same politics courses, but in different semesters), but it turns out we have different profs, who use different materials. Well, so much for my clever idea.

I also had to run by Loblaws and pick up some groceries because my side of the kitchen is completely empty! I thought I had cheese, which I suppose I did in a way. It’s just that I’m not particularly fond of cheese that has decided to put on a green fuzzy coat of mold over the Christmas break. I was staring at absolutely nothing except half a bottle of ketchup and half a bottle of mustard. Mm mm, there’s a well-balanced meal in the making.

After returning from Loblaws, I made the second trip to the book store of the day. It’s only a few blocks from school and the buses were running slow so I walked and it was snowing like mad – big fluffy clumps of snow. It’s all very pretty, but a few weeks late for me. I wanted a nice snowy Christmas break to enjoy at home, but I suppose it’s better late than never. (Remind me again when I have to start taking the tunnels because Ottawa decides to host a blizzard for the next three months.)

I’m now considerably poorer and a more exhausted than I was at this time yesterday, but I think it’s still considered a gentle awakening as we get back into school mode.

A little recap of the end of my 2010:

Day 116: Sidestepping the Ocean Deep on New Year’s Eve

I spent the day at the Sheraton, enjoying the last day of Winter Conference, but I didn’t last very long. All those days of waking up early have just taken its toll on my and I was falling asleep. Fortunately we had the afternoon off and I went shopping with my mommy, which is always fun, but didn’t really help my tiredness. I didn’t feel ready to party 2010 away at all!

Despite my sleepiness, I did drop in at the Winter Conference’s New Year’s Eve party for a while. The theme was Ocean Deep. I saw a lot of giant squids and pirates, and one lady standing under a large, blue cardboard letter C (thereby standing under the deep blue “sea.” How punny.) I didn’t end up staying for the countdown though. My mom and I did the countdown at home and poof! Just like that, we said, “Bye bye!” to 2010. I didn’t really feel like another year had gone by, and so far I haven’t had any trouble adjusting to writing 2011. It’s going to be a good year!

Day 117: New Year’s Day

It was a lazy New Year’s Day, in the sense that I didn’t do too much. I went out for lunch with my dad and hit all the Chinese plazas of course, since they’re the only ones open on New Year’s Day. It was crazy busy everywhere, but we still managed to get some good parking spaces – wonder of wonders.

I spent  the rest of the day lazing around, enjoying some of the old movies I had gotten for Christmas. We had a huge dinner, thanks to some very good family friends. They always invite us over for fantastic meals that look like they came out of gourmet kitchens. I can’t think of a better sending-off dinner. It was more like a banquet, an ode to the fruits of the sea: clam chowder with big fat homemade croutons, mussels, lobster and shrimp with mushroom risotto and a great big chocolate cake with coffee-flavoured cream. How will I ever go back to living off Tim Hortons?

That night was spent packing ferociously. I was running up and down all around the house trying to get everything together and, more importantly, trying to make it all fit inside my huge duffel bag that suddenly didn’t feel so huge anymore.

Day 118: So long, fare well

I knew it was coming, but I didn’t know it would get here so fast. It was my last day of Christmas break. I certainly enjoyed it, though I did miss seeing some of my friends who were away having adventures of their own on a cruise.

My mom and I woke up early despite our late night of packing, and went to have dim sum. I’m going to miss all the good Chinese food! We went to church, which I’m going to miss. I feel like I barely got time to enjoy being back at my home-church, and now it’s time to head out again.

It was a relaxing day, and before I knew it, it was time to head to Union Station. Downtown Toronto was crazy! There was some event going on at the Air Canada Centre, and the traffic was barely moving. I needn’t have worried about missing the train though. It was a good 25 minutes late, so there was plenty of time for my mom and I to say our proper goodbyes. That’s always the worst part, but I have five hours on the train to get myself back into school mode. It was 7 p.m. when we started moving, but we somehow made up the lost time on the way.

By 11:35 p.m., the train was pulling into Ottawa. I battled it out with dozens of tired people just trying to get a taxi home and made it to res before 1 a.m. So here we are – back to reality. It was a really great holiday. Bring on winter semester!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s